Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Sad day

So I guess I'll just skip right to the chase. Yesterday, I broke my computer screen. Yes, my nice, new, beautiful, perfect computer!! It was sitting opening on my bed and when I went to sit on my bed it slowly slid off onto the floor. It didn't seem like that bad of a fall until I realized that the back of the screen had hit the corner of one of the drawers underneath my bed. And it hit right where the aluminum switches to the plastic apple logo, which is probably the weakest part of the entire computer. So now there is a dent in the back and the LED is completely broken.

Here is a really depressing picture:

Luckily I can still use it if I hook it up to a monitor (or in this case my 32" TV). However, I have to sit on the floor while using it now which is really starting to hurt my butt!

So I did some research on replacing it and I found a couple different answers about how much it would cost. I made an appointment at the Apple store for today and I while I was hoping it would be somewhere about $500 (or less!), I was really afraid it was going to be like $1000. So after waiting 45 minutes (even though I had an appointment!!) I found out it would only be $550! So they ordered the part today (which is just an entire new screen) and once it comes in I can turn in my computer and they will fix it!

I also realized today the advantage to one of those hard cases. I never understood them before, but now I am going to buy one and never take it off!

So luckily this isn't the end of the world, and it could have been a lot worse. And while I don't have a job right now at least I have some savings so I can afford this and Christmas presents and moving to Colorado.

So that's basically what is new with me. I am still working on my applications. I'm going to try to submit them this weekend, although if I don't have a computer that might be a little difficult haha.

-E

2 comments:

James said...

Is the$550 with the labor to do the installation? Otherwise: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-Early-2011-Display/5140/1

Unknown said...

Yes it does include labor and tax. So I think it is worth it to have them do it just in case something goes wrong with it.