Thursday, May 31, 2012

work is boring so I make to do lists...

Sometimes work is excruciatingly boring and we're not really supposed to do anything except stand there and smile at the nonexistent customers. So lately I have taken to writing myself a list of things to do everyday. Sometimes there will be important things on there like stuff I have to do for loans and to get ready for school, but usually it says things like groceries, crochet, and laundry. I also put really dumb things like watch movie or clean glasses. About once a week I put BLOG on a list in the hopes that this will encourage me to do it more often. But after a couple weeks of this I have little slips of paper everywhere even though I usually throw the old ones out and it's starting to look like a crazy person has been writing a manifesto in my room or something.

The other day I was so bored at work that I even thought about things I could write about in my blog and wrote that on my list. So here were the things to write about on my list of things to do so I can cross them off =)

Katy Perry:
I have random thoughts when I listen to the radio on the way to work in the morning. I really love Katy Perry. I mean, obviously a lot of people do since she's had like over 10 number one hits, but I feel like it's different for me because a few years ago I probably wouldn't have liked her. But I've grown to like pop music more and I just love every new song of hers that comes on the radio. Right now they have been playing "Part of Me" a lot and sometimes I sing it in my head (or out loud if no one is around) when I'm bored at work.
This is the part of me that you're never gonna ever take away from me, no. Throw your sticks and stones. Throw your bombs and blows. But you're not gonna break my soul
But then a Ke$ha song came on the radio, and I mean it was upbeat and kinda fun I guess, but it in no way compared to Katy Perry, even though they are both pop songs. And I realized the difference was the Ke$ha doesn't really sing. The whole song was just her voice being manipulated by a computer. So anyway, sorry for this long and pointless tangent about Katy Perry, but I like her. Whatever. Get over it.

Baby birds:
So getting back to the work topic, I used to hate when they'd send me out to the Garden Center at 8am because it would be freezing and there weren't any customers that early anyway. But lately it has been nice at 8am, because it's not as cold and there are birds everywhere! And now there are baby birds too! I loved watching them the other morning and even though there are security cameras all around me, I took some pics with my phone. They aren't great pics, but it's not like I could ask the little baby robin to pose for me.
Momma robin
baby robin
Momma and baby together
It's hard to tell in these pics, but the baby was so fluffy and cute! And it was already bigger than some of the other birds species out there. There was also this nest up high and I couldn't see the babies but every time one of their parents came to feed them they would chirp like crazy! It was such a good morning =)

Pinterest:
So a few days ago my sister joined Pinterest, and even though I have been on it for a long time I had never really gotten into it, but the last few days I got obsessed. I guess I always thought that it was pointless to repin DIY stuff and recipes that I would never do, but since I'm going to be moving to NY, I feel like I might actually use some of the things on there. I also thought the ones of clothes were pointless, because I didn't think I'd ever actually go out and buy those specific clothes. Then the other night I decided to make my own and I love it! I am seriously way into coral right now. I bought this shirt from Old Navy the other day and I was proud of myself because I thought it was orange-ish, and I usually hate orange. But everyone at work said it wasn't orange, so then I realized it was really "coral" or "salmon" which apparently I now love.
Casual coral and beige, made by me :)

Speaking of clothes, I also bought these tennis shoes at Old Navy that were on clearance for $10.50 and it is seriously the best $10 I have ever spent. I have worn them twice at work so far, and I have gotten at least 15 compliments on them. I think that people just notice them more because they are a really bright blue, because I have never had so many people notice something new on me. Or maybe that is just one of the differences between California and Colorado, I dunno.
It's kind of dark in my room so they are actually even brighter in person.

Cooking:
Since I've been living with my sis and I've helped her make dinner a few times (usually I only do some of the chopping because she is so much better and faster at everything else), I have wanted to start cooking myself. I bought a magazine the other day that has "5 Ingredient and 15 Minute Recipes" hoping that while they may take me 30 or 45 minutes, at least they won't take me 2 hours. I also found some cool recipes on Pinterest and I even made one of them today! It is "Single Ingredient Ice Cream" but it is really just blended frozen bananas. That's it. But you can add stuff to it, which makes it 2 or 3 ingredient ice cream, so I added peanut butter and cocoa powder to it, like the girl in the blog did. I was really proud of myself for making something like that. I even used a food processor for the first time!


It's kind of more like soft serve ice cream when you first make it. And I was worried about it not being blended enough so I did it a lot and I think the bananas kind of unfroze by the time I ate it, but I put most of it in the freezer so hopefully it will be better when it's frozen again. It basically tastes like bananas, peanut butter, and chocolate, which are great together. And it's totally healthy because it's mostly just bananas! The only complaint I had was that it kind of felt like the texture of mushed bananas--a little too slimy--but maybe it'll be better when it's more frozen. 

Then later today, Ben's aunt came over (she is so nice and sweet! I'm going to miss her and his mom when I move...) and gave me and my sister some old rings she didn't want. I guess she has arthritis so she can't wear them anymore. Rachel kept 2 and I kept 2. What do you think of them?
The middle of the big one is actually pinkish, but I couldn't make it look pink in the pic.
I'm wearing them right now and I kind of like them. I usually only wear one ring if I wear them at all, but I like when people wear more.

Financial Aid:
The last thing on my list to write about was the financial aid process for school. I was just so confused about it and worried that I hadn't done something I was supposed to do, but I finally figured out that I was making it way more complicated than it really was. I did everything I thought I was supposed to do and then called the financial aid guy at school and he said I had, so that was a relief. He also said I'd be receiving a financial aid package soon, and I think it will include any scholarships I'll receive so I'm kind of excited!

Ok, I think that's finally it. Considering I didn't think I had much going on in my life right now or much to talk about, I wrote a pretty long post. 

I will again leave you with pics of "my" pets.
He has a rough life

This is the only pic I have of them together because if they get any closer than this, Loki tries to play with Rocko and Rocko bats him with his cute little paws.
-E

update: Me, Rachel and Ben had the banana "ice cream" for dessert. It was definitely better frozen (just let it sit out for a few minutes before you try to scoop it). It was good but I think next time I will add more chocolate and less peanut butter and maybe even mix in some chocolate chips at the end. Mmmm... can't wait to make it again!

No comments: