Friday, May 18, 2012

the past few months

It's been so long since I've written a post that I had to go back to see what the last thing I wrote about was, and I was surprised that I basically have written nothing about Colorado... woops!

I guess the biggest thing that happened in the last few months was that I got a job at Lowe's as a cashier. I actually really like most of the people and I like working with the customers, but I hate that it is sometimes boring and I have to stand on my feet all day. Some people might question why I got a job as a cashier when I could have gotten an office job or even a job working for an Optometrist, but I'm super happy I got a normal, boring part-time job. I think it has helped strengthen my communication and people skills, which is probably going to be one of the hardest parts of optometry school for me. It's also shown me that I can be really good at helping people and that I actually really love it! I was worried that I was going to end up hating Optometry because I'll have to deal with people all the time, but that is actually my favorite thing about working at Lowe's. So anyway, I'm really glad that I got the job, but I just wish they would let us sit down or do something interesting when we have no customers for half an hour haha.

The biggest decision I made in the last few months was that I decided to attend the SUNY College of Optometry in the Fall! Although it will be a big change, and some people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them, I think it's going to be great! I mean it won't always be kicks and giggles, but no Optometry school would be. And while my Mom was freaking out for months about finding an apartment, moving all my stuff there, etc, etc, I have remained relatively calm. And now that I have my plane tickets home and to NY for the housing day, I am feeling a little sick of waiting and kind of just want it to be time. On the other hand, it doesn't feel real yet. I can't believe I am going to be living in NY in 2 and a half months!

my future school!

One of the most fun weeks I had lately was the week I went home to California. The reason I went was to see David Sedaris speak again and it was as awesome as I thought it would be. He is just so hilarious (and I saw Jack Hodgins from Bones!) Also, he signed a book for me and my sis.



I also got to see Rochelle! It was so random that she happened to be visiting CA at the same time as me! We played Taboo at my house with her sis and friends and we went to the beach and saw some amazing tide pools. It was so much fun and felt so natural even though we only see each other like once a year at the most.



Then I went down to Brittany and Dan's new place and hung out with them. Their place is so cute and I can't wait to see what else they have done to it when I go back in July. Then the best part of the week was meeting up with a potential roommate, named Kalynn, who turned out to be awesome! We are living together for sure now (I think! Haha, I am still a little paranoid she's going to tell me she found someone better) and I am so excited because finding a roommate seemed like one of the scariest parts for me. I mean what if no one wanted to live with me!? But anyway, I'm so excited to live with her and I hope that we get along and have fun!

And besides seeing all those people, I also got to hang out with my parents, which was so nice. It was the longest I have ever gone without seeing them, but that's only a preview of what it's going to be like the next few years. They are so great and we played some games and had a lot of fun together! My mom and I also laughed the hardest we have ever laughed. It was definitely a "had to be there" kind of moment, but it went something like this:
(While playing the Who Wants to be a Millionaire board game)
My Dad: Obviously the "Native American hickory tree nut" is the pecan
My Mom: But how did you know it's not the Brazil nut?
My Dad: Because it says Native American hickory tree
My Mom: But where does the Brazil nut come from? (meaning what kind of tree)
My Dad: BRAZIL!!

Anyway, it probably doesn't seem that funny but the way my dad said it was hilarious.

Also, I started crocheting an afghan! I didn't work on it for like a month, but I just began furiously working on it again a week ago and it's more than halfway done now!

The yarn! On sale for only $22!
The first 4 rows
Getting longer!

Also, I got a new phone, read 29 books, got my first credit card, reached Starbucks Gold level, and will be taking an ice skating class in June!

And of course, no blog post would be complete without cute pics of my pets-in-law =)
Seriously cannot get enough of his cuteness!
And his too!
Ok, I will definitely try to update more often, especially when more interesting things happen, like finding an apartment in NY, moving, and starting school. But bye for now!

-E

No comments: